About Me

My photo
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Easter Island Visiting

Spent Easter with family in Fanny Bay.  On the drive up I decided that I would spend Saturday visiting Hornby & Denman Islands.  It was a good decision.   The weather was the best it has been in days: warm with brilliant blue skies and sun all day and calm waters for the ferry crossings. The ferry rides were first from Buckley Bay to Denman Island with a quick drive across Denman to Gravelly Bay to catch the second ferry for Hornby Island.  I now understand how BC Ferries are an everyday occurance in this part of the world.  Riding the ferries was reminiscent of the time Janet and I travelled the Greek Islands.

My first stop on Hornby was Tribune Bay Provincial Park and then on to Helliwell Provincial Park.  While Tribune Bay has a beauty of its own, Helliwell is a jem with spectacular ocean views from bluffs, old growth forest and wildlife.  Wildlife on this trip included sea lions swimming parallel to the coastline, eagles, ducks and other seabirds.  I spent two hours in the park and ate my picnic lunch soaking in the views.  After leaving Hornby I chose to go to Fillongley Park based on it being described as an "unspoiled sand and shell beach" with lovely views of mountains.  I didn't walk the park trail but spent the time meandering on the beach.  I just happen to look up to see a very large flock of Brant geese fly by.    One visit isn't enough to do justice to these islands.

Tribune Bay beach

Tribune Bay shell

Helliwell Provincial Park bluffs

Helliwell old growth forest

Helliwell volcanic stone

Brant Geese

No comments:

Post a Comment